Add Reply
New Poll

CRISPR - Editted, Tag: Annoluck
Ester
 Posted: Mar 12 2018, 12:38 AM

Administrator
Group: Admin

Ariaceli had been pacing up and down, but that had grown very tiring after a while, and she'd finally sat down heavily on one of the chairs that were placed around the back of the room. The room was brighter than it had been only a few candlemarks earlier when it had been empty and only the voice of AIVAS had filled the room, but not by much. The heavy scent of Klah filled the room, and Ariaceli held a heavy mug of the thick liquid in her hands, a shield against the dark circles that were forming under her eyes from lack of sleep. On the large screen across the room, AIVAS was playing a rotating selection of images from the hatching. Mostly, Ariaceli was silent, but every so often she'd voice a quiet command. It was only she who occupied the room, and AIVAS was quick to fulfill her requests. "Zoom in again, please. On the image labeled F-2, if you could." With a quick motion, the image F-2 zoomed in, filling up the screen. "Focus on the headknobs?" The image zoomed in again, and Ariaceli leaned forward slightly, the steam from her mug of klah tickling her chin as she rested her elbows on her knees and peered at the large image from the back of the room. Being closer wouldn't have shown her anything else that she couldn't already see, and all the images did for her was confirm what she already knew. Something strange had happened to the eggs, and possibly to the dragons who had already hatched as well. None of them had rose yet, although a few greens were showing more promise than they had, and Ariaceli hoped that AIVAS' prediction that they were experiencing some need for a recovery period after their long freeze was correct. The male dragons didn't seem to be bothered by the lack of females rising, so for now they would wait and hope. There was nothing they could do, but about these eggs, perhaps there... well, nothing could be done now, of course, but maybe something could be learned.

Mal? Does Evonoth know when V'nin is going to get here? It was a few moments before her dragon, who had mostly been half-asleep in their rooms, answered her. I don't know. I told Evonoth that you wished to speak to V'nin, but I am not going to pester him about it. I am sure he told his rider that you wished to speak to him, and that he will be there as soon as possible. The voice of her dragon faded from her mind, and Ariaceli rubbed at her eyes before taking another sip of her klah. The liquid helped, but what the Weyrwoman really wanted was a good eight or possibly twelve candlemarks of sleep. She wasn't going to get it, so klah was going to have to be a substitute for a little while longer. It was four candlemarks, give or take, after the conclusion of the hatching, and Ariaceli had yet to catch her second wind. It would show up soon enough, she hoped, and in the meantime, she returned to having AIVAS flash images across the screen. She'd already asked the machine if everything had been catalogued correctly, and if it knew of anything at all like this. Of course, the answers were "yes" and "no", respectively, although admittedly with some more of the machine's legendary wit. Ariaceli couldn't really summon the energy for wit at the moment, and she would have to somehow find it in herself to create a rousing speech. She did smile slightly at the memory of the new Weyrlings and their dragonets. They were all hopefully asleep, tucked up tight with their new bondeds. Snuggling with their other halves that had been missing from their lives for so incredibly long. A few candidates had remained on the sands too, but Ariaceli knew from very personal experience that that meant nothing. There would be other clutches. More eggs from AIVAS and hopefully a clutch from Mallitorioth sooner or later.

Are you sure he knows? If you ask me again, I will be quite upset. It is not my fault you refuse to sleep. You do not need to be worrying yourself so. I said they were powerful, and I did not lie. We only lost one, who was dead in their shell. They never had a other half, and so there is no real sadness to mourn. They will still look weird tomorrow, after you've slept. And bothering poor Evonoth's rider too. You'll be the cause of your own death, Ariaceli. The gold dragon's voice held just a tinge of annoyance that had quickly faded into something like worry before she fell silent again, and this time Ariaceli let it be. Her dragon was right, but at the same time, she wasn't sure she could sleep. It was mystery upon strangeness, and how was she supposed to get any rest if she couldn't understand why all of her new Weyrlings were so incredibly... odd. Would any of the dragons who hatched be viable? Would they be able to reproduce as they were so desperately needed to do? It would be a long time, two turns at the least, until anyone knew, and even then, if they did, what would happen? Ariaceli sighed again and leaned back, tipping the mug all the way back so she could swallow the last goopy ends of her klah before she got back up out of her chair with a groan and went to the pot that sat steaming in the corner. Another mug was poured, and the Weyrwoman didn't even bother to wait for it to cool or to blow on the top, instead she took a great swig of it and grimaced. "Oooh, that burns a lot." It was a mutter, but even when she was quiet in this room, AIVAS could hear her. "I fear that is not the best course of action, Weyrwoman. Would you prefer I turn the heat down on the pot?" Ariaceli shook her head and took another gulp. "No, no, thank you, AIVAS. It's somehow more invigorating when it scalds the skin off the inside of your mouth." Maybe she had just enough energy left for some wit after all.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Annoluck
 Posted: Mar 12 2018, 07:43 PM

Group: Members

V'nin released a weary sigh as he gave Evonoth a reassuring pat on the brown's neck before leaving the examination room where the dragon was resting, a much smaller blue dragon curled up close by. The dragonet's other half was resting in a different room, having just undergone a nearly 4 candlemark surgery to save the weyrling's leg. The two would be reunited in a day or two, but was currently in the future. Right now, the tired Healer, now on his....twentieth?....no...twenty-second mark of wakefulness, had an urgent appointment to make, the need expressed almost repeatedly the first candlemark he has been in the surgery. Thankfully, both his dragon and the sender's own bond had played messenger the remaining time, allowing him to focus. A small part of him urged him to just turn this way and save the meeting for later, but in the short time he had come to know Celi, he knew that that was Not an option. That woman was too much like the Senior Weyrwoman of now lost Benden Weyr.

Stepping of the lift, and a gentle reminder from Evonoth, V'nin made his way through several security checkpoints, being courteously waved through by Aivas itself, into the Mainframe room itself. The smell of klah hung heavy in the air, to which the healer failed to stifle a yawn. "Apologies for not coming sooner, Celi, but working on saving a leg is a delicate matter, as is making sure a dragonet is properly fed." He carefully sat down in a chair, his eyes trying to focus on her, a weary smile on his face.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by miss texas at caution, shine, & cc